SEARCH THIS SITE:

JewelMint Clutch: Its 100 year old inspiration!

In my PopSugar Must Have Luxury box, I received a JewelMint clutch that was (at least in my opinion) one of the best of the four possible clutches they sent out. The one I received is this:


 One thing I simply loved about this little clutch was its unique opening!  

JewelMint clutch with lid open.
JewelMint clutch with neck open.

This clutch is unlike anything I'd seen, until I was browsing in an antique store today and saw this:
Whiting & Davis clutch.

This clutch was displayed in the jewelry case and I did a double take! While slightly different due to the little flaps at the bottom, this Whiting & Davis brand chain mail from 1920 looks so similar to the JewelMint piece it was amazing! It even opens exactly the same way: 
Whiting & Davis 100 year old clutch, open.



The Whiting & Davis clutch is slightly larger than the JewelMint piece, and has details the JM does not: Scrollwork engraving on the lid, and engravings on the "neck" of the clutch as well, really beautifully crafted. This clutch is in simply amazing condition for being nearly a century old! 
Side by side comparison.


I think there can't be much doubt that a vintage-loving designer at JewelMint had a lot of inspiration from this beautiful little clutch. It seems that what's old is truly new again today -- including this adorable flapper style clutch!


1 comment: