Most of us who enjoy subscription services already know that there are some kind of weird/unique/amusing subscription services available today, but once in a while I see one that really sticks out to me. I do subscription box reviews of many types, but sometimes I just have to stop and say "Really? There is seriously a subscription box for THAT?"
The ones I'm talking about today are those that sound weird for a second and then you realize..."That might be just perfect for (insert name here)." Case in point are two I noticed recently.
The Pizza of the Month Club, and the Beer of the Month Club, both from the
Clubs of America.
Clubs of America has been doing gourmet food subs since 1994, so I guess they know what they're doing. They're practically a couple of decades (!) older than most of the subs I get today, after all.

I admit it, at first I laughed. I'm trying to visualize a BirchBox stuffed with pizza instead of Luna bars... maybe I'm imagining a GlossyBox with two bottles of beer neatly tucked inside and tied with tissue and pink ribbon. No, these subs are a whole different thing. They are subs the way they were back in the "old days" when a fruit of the month club was the only sub anyone knew about. (And yes, they do offer fruit of the month too.)
After a few minutes of reading these funny sounding subs started to sound more interesting: The
Pizza Club would be just perfect for my best friend Bill, who as a man is of course impossible to buy for. But he loves his pizza. And this isn't just any old pizza. Recent selections included:
- Chicago Italian Beef
- Barbeque Chicken Alfredo
- Thai Chicken
- Gourmet Shrimp
Suddenly I'm thinking a pizza sub's a good idea. They deliver 3 deep dish 9 inch pizzas to your door (overnight delivery, special coolers that you get to keep) each month. These are hand made high end gourmet pizzas, and the price does reflect that: $64.95 a month, but for a hard to buy for friend or relative, what a fun gift. Even a one-month sub could be a lot of fun for the right foodie in your life.

That brings me to the
Beer Club. Now, this sounded tailor made for...uh...well, all men on earth pretty much. It delivers 12 bottles of micro-brewed beer (four different varieties) to your door each month. Recent inclusions were:
-
Millstream Brewery in Iowa: Oatmeal Stout and White Ale
-
Abita Brewery in Louisiana: IPA and Turbo Dog Lager
-
Sand Creek Brewery in Wisconsin: English Ale and Woody's Wheat
-
Atlanta Brewery in Georgia: Pale Ale and Red Ale
I know precisely nothing about beer (ick) but this does sound like fancy beer for someone who actually enjoys it. Like I said, I can think of around a zillion men I know who would be thrilled with this. Beer is cheaper than pizza, at $38.95 monthly, and again I think it sounds like a fun gift for anyone who is just impossible to buy for.
I've seen a few other subs that made me say....WHAT? For example, the fishing tackle sub. But something about a pizza and beer sub made me laugh because it sounds crazy but somehow it's probably perfect for a lot of people I know.
What subs have you thought sounded funny?
Mmmmm pizza! I guess there is a sub for everyone. The gamer boxes are funny to me,because I'm not a gamer. The TOM boxes strike me as silly.
ReplyDeletelol'ing at the Glossybox with two beer bottles inside hahaha! a strange one i saw is for your period, I don't think so. it reminds me of those awful commercials where they said to Have a happy period! LOL
ReplyDeleteThere's several sex toy subscription boxes!! O_O And I also saw the period ones! Comes with chocolate, pads/tampons, lol!
ReplyDeleteyes, to me the funniest named one ever may be the "Boink Box" lolol
Delete