Out of all my readers who are parents, who wishes their kids would read/write more and play video games/watch tv less? While I'm not a parent, my nephews are a big part of my life and lately I've been pondering whether the iPad is surgically attached to my younger nephew. When I heard from
Young Author's Treasure Box about their new service that sends bimonthly boxes that make reading and writing fun, I was immediately excited to try it out for Landon, who just turned 10. This Young Author's Treasure Box review covers the 4th to 6th grade box for boys.
The boxes are available in all age ranges and for either boys or girls. Categories are:
-Infant to 4 years old
-Kindergarten through 2nd grade
-2nd through 4th grade
-4th through 6th grade (the box in this review!)
Each box is $40 (bimonthly boxes) and will be shipped flat rate priority mail for shipping, which is currently $12.85 (the box does have some weight to it as it's packed with stuff.) Kids who get the Young Author's Treasure Box can also join their online book club, which has presences on their blog, Facebook, and Instagram. There, they can talk about the books and writing with other kids!
 |
| Each box contains between 4 and 8 books (hardcover and/or softcover)
along with various writing tools, fun stuff to encourage reading and
writing, and mentor texts that help guide kids in starting their own
writing. |
 |
| This hardcover Diary of a Wimpy Kid Do-it-Yourself book has pages that kids fill out by answering questions. It's really creative and he loves this! |
 |
| These are both graphic novels featuring Ironman. Clearly a huge hit with boys this age! Lots of material in each, plenty of reading along with beautiful illustrations. |
 |
| A Spiderman comic which again thrilled him. |
 |
| Batman pencil case! Plus, there were two glitter pencils in red and blue and a big eraser. These are already in constant use. |
 |
| Big sheet of superhero stickers, bookmarks with reading/writing tips, and a colorful help sheet that guides budding young authors. |
 |
| How cute is this? A frog bookmark (the frog's foot holds the page.) |
Landon was genuinely thrilled with this box. He always sees me getting boxes in the mail and was excited for one of his own. Even better, he LOVED each item inside. I can really pay no higher compliment than to tell you what happened after he got into the box: First, I had to beg to borrow everything back "just for a minute" to take photos. The kid put down his iPad and cracked open the hardcover Wimpy Kid book. He sharpened one of the fancy new glitter pencils to write in the interactive book and was absorbed for hours. No iPad. No television either. Success!!! And, by the way, he also carefully read the guidelines for writing your own graphic novel and wanted to tell me about his ideas. It was really a happy moment to see him so excited about writing.
 |
| Very proud of his Young Author's Treasure Box! |
Amazing. Anything that can get a kid this motivated to read and write is a spectacular success in my opinion. Is there a kid in your life who needs a fun summer diversion that doesn't involve television or video games? This might be your ideal solution. Check it out here:
Young Author's Treasure Box!
I think they should have a sort of challenging book to read at the end. Or maybe just a challenge box, because I think kid readers would like it. I know when I was in the sixth grade I read the girl with the dragon tatoo, lol. But this does seem like a good idea for kids who hate reading whatsoever.
ReplyDeleteThis is so much what I wish I'd had when I was this age, my daughter will love this!
ReplyDelete